Saturday, March 24, 2012

What Is A Woman

What Is A Woman


Is it her smile
Her ability to procreate
swaying hips and big lips
or is it her staying power
baby sick
accounts overdrawn

when he turns to her as he walks out the door
her steady smile
fueling him

Is it her soft touch
on the pillow each night
of her young
that which helps them grow
like vitamins for the soul

or maybe that smile of letting go
when her job is done
her young unsure
but knowing they must leave

the steady look in her eyes
that says yes
leave
leave me and fly
soar

carry yourself far
for that is what I dreamed for you
way long ago
while I rocked you in my arms

5 comments:

  1. Lovely poem. It made me weepy as I watch the towering young man who used to be my little boy go about finding himself without me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. This is a wonderful poem with image and feelings.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a mother who has watched her children leave my nest and now a grandmother watching her young ones growing too fast, this poem evoked many feelings in me.

    Radiant Soul Speak!!!!
    Radiant Blessings to You! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning poetry - brings up emotions I had forgotten I had. Want more of this quality of writing.

    ReplyDelete